Monday, July 23, 2007

Battle of the price


What do you do when competitors cut down their price? Boycott them by not selling the product? Yup, I'm talking about the price war between the four main bookstores with the two hypermarkets. Since it concerned my beloved Harry Potter books, I think a post about this is a must. If you are still blur, check it out here

Well, in my opinion, I think they shouldn't make the protest. I mean, look at Borders bookstores. They didn't join the protest but they still ran out of stock. Yeah, so most people would probably buy from Tesco or Carrefour because of the lower price, but it seems that some consumers still choose to buy from bookstores. Plus, the demand is higher than the production, so, most likely there will still be people looking for the book after the hypermarkets sold out their stock. And I guess they won't mind paying more since the cheaper ones have already been snapped up by others. Hmm... Is this the real plan behind the protest? Hahaha... Could be...

People are encouraged to read more, but I don't see how that will happen if books continue to be pricey. Even after discounts. Famous books like the Harry Potter series may attract more people to read but what about the lesser known books? If the price tag of a book title that captured my interest is beyond my budget, I would take more time to consider about buying it. I'm not accusing anyone, just wondering out loud if there is any solution for this dilemma..



PS. I haven't ask my parents where they bought the book. My guess is probably the hypermarkets. Hahaha.. But since it's a gift, I can be dismissed from deciding to support either the bookstores or hypermarkets, right?

PSS. If I had to buy it myself, I probably will buy it from Borders. When they cut the price after awhile. Hehehe...

No comments: